Palom Is Organic Aquaculture
Organic Aquaculture Key Metrics:
- No genetically modified or cloned animals
- No methyl testosterone permitted on trout broodstock
- Grow-out fish must be hatchery- raised
- No antibiotics on grow-out fish permitted
- No growth hormones permitted
- No Methyl testosterone permitted on grow-out fish
- No in-feed veterinary medicines, including parasiticide treatments such as emamectin benzoate, permitted
- Use of malachite green, crystal violet, and Tributyltin compounds (TBT) at any stage of egg, smolt, or fish production prohibited.
- No parasiticide treatments allowed
- No antibiotics, parasiticides, hormones or slaughterhouse products from avian or mammalian species permitted in feed.
- Annual reporting on progress toward meeting Maximum Fish In, Fish Out ratios
- No synthetic pigment sources allowed in feed
- Annual testing for assessing progress toward meeting maximumcontaminant levels:
- PCBs: 0.011 ppm (11 ppb or 11μg/kg)
- WHO-TEQs (dioxins, furans, dioxin-like PCBs): 2.16 ppt (parts per trillion) or 2.16 pg/g or ng/kg
- Mercury: 0.22 ppm or 0.22 mg/kg
- No nets/cages treated with copper- based antifoulants or other toxic antifoulants
- Calculation of total nitrogen and total phosphorus inputs
- Effluent monitoring and calculation of loads
- Salinization of surrounding areas prevented
- Legal approval for aquaculture production at farm site required
- No conversion of ecologically sensitive areas (e.g. wetlands, mangroves) into new farms or sites, or for expanding current farms, permitted
- Restoration of at least a hectare of new habitat for each hectare of wetland or mangrove forest previously converted to ponds (i.e. a 1:1 ratio)
- For net pens/net cages: Detailed Containment Management System specifying all protocols for preventing escapes
- Exclusion of wildlife predators or other non-lethal methods must be the first level of defense
- No Acoustic Harassment Devices permitted
- Tracking system to ensure the identity and history of all fish sold to Whole Foods Market from farm to market required.
Organic Aquaculture Does Not Use Drugs or Chemicals
- Prohibited preservatives include, but are not limited to, sodium bisulfite, sodium tri-polyphosphate (STP), and sodium metabisulfite.
- This includes larvae, post-larvae, fry, smolts, fingerlings and grow-out stock.
- Fish exhibiting symptoms associated with disease must receive veterinary attention, and if diagnosed with disease, must be treated as
- appropriate. If fish require treatment with medications prohibited by Whole Foods Market (e.g. antibiotics), the pen / tank / pond / raceway must be marked for identification and fish from that system cannot be sold to Whole Foods Market.
Organic RAS Aquaculture Does Not Allow Growth Hormones on Grow-out Fish
- Methyl testosterone on grow-out fish for sex reversal
- Use of malachite green, crystal violet, and Tributyltin compounds (TBT) at any stage of egg, smolt, or fish production
- In-feed veterinary medicines, including parasiticide treatments such as emamectin benzoate.
Top - Organic Aquaculture
Animated Tour of Palom's RAS